David's Reviews > The Bhagavad Gita

The Bhagavad Gita by Anonymous

Oct 31, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: classics, non-fiction

I read this in the midst of Bakker's Prince of Nothing series. The PON series is a philosophically-inclined fantasy series about a holy war between several vaguely middle-eastern nations. The Bhagavad-Gita, on the other hand, is a sacred Hindu text that teaches principles of Hindu thought and ethics through a great war. I thought they'd work together better than they did. The problem is that Bakker's story is very very dark and the Bhagavad-Gita is (like most religious texts) rather hopeful. The Gita is saying, "Yes, although war and many other things in life are terrible, if you do them for the right reasons (prayer, for god), it'll all be okay." Bakker is saying essentially that nothing will ever be okay again no matter what you or anyone else does.

So, yeah.

This is a classic of world literature, and many people who are way smarter and better than me have had their lives changed by the Bhagavad-Gita.

That said, it really didn't do much for me. Maybe I'm not as spiritually inclined as I was when I studied it before. Maybe it just wasn't the right time. There were some lovely passages, and as far as religious writings go, it was rather readable and incredibly concise. Not exactly a fun read, but if you're at all interested in Hindu culture, it's definitely worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bhagavad Gita.