Reed's Reviews > Kill the Dead

Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey

Oct 25, 2010

it was ok
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** How quickly something refreshing becomes tedious. One of the things I most enjoyed about Kadrey's last novel Sandman Slim was the fact the protagonist was not a smart-ass leather-clad ass-kicking woman, but a bitter, revenge-seeking (literally) damned man. It was a testosterone-soaked violent romp.

Unfortunately in Kadrey's second novel of the series, our protagonist is still seeking revenge, is still full of piss and vinegar, and not much fun at all. In fact, he's a downright bore.

I get the fact he's single-minded in his quest for revenge upon the man who killed his true love and damned him to 11 years in Hell. That would make any person a bit tetchy, one would think.

However, it's just not that much fun to read a novel from the point of view of such a man, if he never loosens up, never has a laugh, never stops being such a drip.

Really, I wanted to like this novel more. It's not poorly written. The storyline is interesting, with Stark being employed by Lucifer himself as a bodyguard. The further development of Stark as a nephilim (a descendant of a fallen angel) is intriguing.

But Stark is just such a damned buzz kill. I'm not sure I want to hang around the dude for another novel unless he can crack a smile. Hell, even getting laid doesn't cheer this sour bastard up. I'll have to think twice about reading the next book in the series.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill the Dead.