Surreysmum's Reviews > Heaven's Keep

Heaven's Keep by William Kent Krueger

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: 2011, mystery, passed-on
Read in December, 2011

I've been anticipating/dreading this instalment in the Cork O'Connor series ever since I read a teaser for it at the end of one of the earlier novels. It's the one where Jo, Cork's wife, goes down in a plane crash. She's presumed dead by Cork and his family, albeit with the faintest thread of hope emerging now and again, right up to the end of the novel. I won't say any more so as not to spoil.

Grief and winter go cruelly hand in hand in this one, and the title, as always, is a geographical feature that encapsulates the feel &/or theme of the novel. Heaven's Keep is a sheer, massive mountain, poking harshly and coldly up into the heavens in the midst of lonely back-country. (Much of the action takes place a distance away from Cork's usual stomping-grounds, but he still finds himself, for various plot-related reasons, involved in local aboriginal politics nonetheless).

I was deeply emotionally invested in this as I read it, so despite the heavy and wintry feelings, I have no hesitation in putting it at the top of the list as the very best of the O'Connor thrillers so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven's Keep.