Bill Kerwin's Reviews > The Hellfire Files Of Jules De Grandin

The Hellfire Files Of Jules De Grandin by Seabury Quinn

Mar 13, 15

bookshelves: weird-fiction, detective-mystery, weird-detectives, short-stories
Read from February 05 to March 21, 2012

The mixture as before, but a good mixture--if you don't mind the casual racism common in pre-WWII pulp fiction.

It starts out with "The Devil-People," a classic de Grandin tale in which sinister dark-skinned folk--in this case, devilish Rakshasas from Malaysia--attempt to reclaim a sacred pearl stolen by a lovely Malay woman in love with a brave Caucasian, and are literally beaten senseless for their efforts (with big spiky clubs) by de Grandin, some Irish cops, and the aforementioned Caucasian. The "Great God Pan" involves a cut-rate Aleister Crowley who uses his pagan finishing school to further a murderous plot, "Restless Souls"--starring the undead and a vampire king--tells of a vampire/human love almost as tender and emo as "Twilight," "The Wolf of St. Bonnot" involves the ghost of a werewolf recalled to corporeality by a seance, the "Hand of Glory" features a ceremony summoning the ancient evil of the Sacred Mother, and "Mephistopheles and Company, Ltd" exposes a group of con artists using demonic possession as part of a scam.

Quinn has a gripping narrative style, and if you can imagine yourself--no problem for me!--as a twelve-year-old boy in the early 1930's reading his forbidden copy of "Weird Tales" under the the blanket with a flashlight, I guarantee you will be both terrified and entertained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hellfire Files Of Jules De Grandin.

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I've read several of these Jules de Grandin stories in various "Weird Tales" anthologies and have always found them a lot of fun. Thanks for the word on some of these other stories. Oh, and if you want to buy me a Xmas present, Bill, there is a 1,400-page, three-volume, $250 "Compleat Tales of Jules de Grandin" being sold somewhere that I wouldn't mind owning, IF I had the space....

Bill  Kerwin Thanks for the tip about the "Compleat Tales." I did know about them, but it's a little too pricey for me. I was able to find all the Popular Library paperbacks from the '70's--six in the series--at Amazon from various sellers from $10 to $20 apiece. It's not everything, but it's enough for me.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Nom d'un chou-fleur, I hear ya! BTW, here's a link about the "Compleat" collection that I was talking about...just in case you ever hit the Powerball lottery: http://www.sfsite.com/08a/jg133.htm