Tressa's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Oct 25, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, audiobook
Read in October, 2010

First, I highly recommend this book. It is a brutal emotional roller coaster. The author, Suzanne Collins, ratcheted the tension by slowly exposing the life in District 12 and then throwing the gears higher with the reveal of The Hunger Games (the actual games from which the book takes its title). Full throttle, of course, started when the games actually began.

I wasn't sure what to expect with The Hunger Games, but I am glad that I wasn't aware of the full story before I started reading. I felt the full impact of the events within the book. I ran the gamut of emotions--anger, frustration, despair, hope, joy, and more. I also liked how Collins made you question what it means to be human, what it means to be compassionate, and what it means to conform.

Since I listened to the audiobook, I must commend Carolyn McCormick's narration. I thought it was fantastic. I was impressed with the variety of voices that she provided for the characters. They were all distinct. I also liked how she injected a wealth of emotion in the characters' sentences. McCormick did a wonderful job and I look forward to listening to her rendition of Catching Fire and Mockingbird.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.