Chrissy's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye

May 29, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, horror, apocalyptic
Read on May 29, 2011

A masterpiece.

Kirkman wisely chooses to focus on the human side of the zombie survival story, citing in the introduction that this is the facet of the idea he finds most interesting-- and I agree wholeheartedly. The gore is haunting and understated, the horror amplified by its quiet consideration (a feature that was woefully disregarded in the recent television adaptation, of which I could only handle two episodes before resolving to read the source material instead), and the day-to-day human drama made both heavier and softer by its placement in a hopeless, post-apocalyptic world.

Real people silently suffering through the uncertainty of being the last real people around, of carrying the weight of their species on their shoulders and of discovering that they may not be up to the task, that they be no more worthy of inheriting the earth than the undead against whom they struggle.... this is good character-driven storytelling, with fantastic art to drive it. I can't wait to read the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 01.