Calisto's Reviews > The Enchantment Emporium

Oct 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: wanted-plot-beta
Read from October 25 to 26, 2010

This is a more 'adult' (in terms of relationships/complexity) version of the Keeper Chronicles and not quite as funny. I did enjoy it and think it's a a solid 3.5 star book. Having said that, this book has issues.

Either Ms. Huff had a new editor or a very indulgent one because the beginning is an impressive minefield of wtfery. Yes, info dumps are brain numbing, but so is being thrown into the middle of an icy lake with just string bikini and a smile. This story would have benefited from a prologue and a genealogy chart or simply just chopping off the beginning. I'm not new to the genre and I still had a tough time figuring out this universe. The story is definitely more focused once Allie (heroine) gets to the store but you have to plod through the rough start and that is a bit of a chore.

This book (like many, many, many others) really should have a 'warnings' section. I know that can be a slippery slope (what do you 'warn' for and how far do you go?) but several epublishers and (the horror!) even fanfiction already have warnings for subject matter that may be objectionable to some readers. In this case, it's the incest. The sex (m/f, threesome, m/m, f/f) is all the fade to black variety. So overall its at most a PG-13, but I definitely understand that some readers were VERY put-off by 'keeping it in the family' aspect of this book.

As far as the Gale women being too powerful and in need of a dose of humility, I don't think so. They are big and bad but the power is always in a group not in 'the one' and I'm really glad to see a group of women, especially the 'aunties' kick some serious butt. Will I buy a sequel? Yup.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantment Emporium.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

A.R. Moler I just started reading this book a couple days ago and definitely agree that the beginning is horrendously confusing. It could have done with quite a bit of either streamlining or sorting out.

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim "the beginning is an impressive minefield of wtfery" - Exactly the words I was trying to conjure up. Nicely said.