Chelsea's Reviews > Spook Country

Spook Country by William Gibson

Jan 10, 12

Read in January, 2012

The more I think about this one, the more I like it. Maybe it's because I started it over the holiday break and was in the market for a light, quick read; or maybe it's because I'm a sucker for a tech-related book that's grounded in reality; but the longer it sits, the more I like it.

This is the first William Gibson novel I've ever read, so I don't know if this is new to anyone else, but I really liked the short, almost staccato, chapters. Each is just long enough to convey action, and then the narrative cuts away to something else, leaving all the traveling to behind the scenes, so to speak.

One thing I didn't like, is the same thing that I didn't like about the first season of Heros - we pick up on several different characters in several places, with no indication of how they connect together. But it all comes together pretty quickly and makes sense.

I also really love that the big event at the end isn't some major heist or assignation, but a "prank" of sorts, that gave me a smile.

Not amazing world-changing stuff here, but a nice beach/vacation read, for sure.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spook Country.