Kim's Reviews > The Abortionist's Daughter

The Abortionist's Daughter by Elisabeth Hyde

Oct 25, 2010

it was ok

I agree with Rachel Weaver, a fellow Goodreads reviewer "Everything about this book unfolds more like a mainstream Hollywood movie rather than a traditional mystery novel. I mean this as less of an insult than as a qualifier. This book is an undemanding, but well-written entertainment. Rather than making the police procedural front and center, this novel shuffles its way through the point-of-view of most of the main players, with no single character or viewpoint getting more say over another. Each person's story unravels pieces of the mystery for the reader, while eventually leading the detectives themselves to the solution. The setting and characters are painted cinematically, but the plot itself is a little too simple. I've said before, I enjoy a good puzzle in my mysteries, and this one doesn't really satisfy, but at a breezy 285 pages, the characters and story still held enough interest to make it worth the brief diversion. I would call this a good hospital read--a distraction that, while it won't harm any brain cells, doesn't really ask you for anything in return."

Well put.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abortionist's Daughter.