Chy's Reviews > Pegasus

Pegasus by Robin McKinley

1917722
Oct 25, 2010

Read in February, 2014

Man, there's just some magic in McKinley's books that can't be reviewed, some essence that takes what I'm pretty sure is a 3.0-star book and makes it about a 4.3 or something.

This one is all about the connection between the protagonist and her pegasus. And it's all about the culture of the pagasi, and the history of the world and times all around them and the particular kingdom of humans with which they're aligned.

And that makes it easier to deal with a method of storytelling that often frustrated me. That is, long stretches of telling, but telling out of order. I mean, we have Sylvi and Ebon meeting on Sylvi's twelfth birthday, and a bit of cool adventure after that.

Then we have "Four years later..." but then we go back over little things from that four years, all told out of order and without a lot of solid when each thing took place---and that should have been much, much more frustrating than it actually was. But hey, McKinley gets to do things other people don't get to do. At least, in my book. (My copy of this book is different than yours, see, because I read this one.)

I've had this book ready-to-read for sometime. A couple of days ago when I thought, "I need Robin McKinley," my eyes did alight upon this book and I was a hundred pages in before I remembered why I haven't read it yet. A hundred pages in was far too invested, and far too...enwoven...to go back.

It's not so much that this book is to have a sequel, a sequel that gave this book a "cliffhanger" ending. It's much more that this is only half a book, and that the other half has yet to be published. (This I knew because of a RM blog post I'd read quite some time ago, and I knew...this would be much more heart-clutching than a mere cliffhanger would be.)

And I was right! Yay, me! But I am glad I went ahead and read this even with no forecast as to when the next half might be out. I needed to hang out with Sylvi and Ebon, and I needed to meet the people close to them, and I needed to get to know this history.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pegasus.

03/18/2014 marked as: read

Cathy Douglas So did the blog post say she's not going to finish it anytime soon? I see it came out in 2010, which doesn't sound promising.

message 2: by Chy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chy From what I remember, the blog post didn't say. *holds hands out in helplessness*