Isamlq's Reviews > Bruiser

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: to-read
Read in March, 2011

A big hulk of a guy… that’s Brewster. The others characters are just as… unique. There are Tennyson and Bronte, so named given their parents’ professions as literature professors. I found all of them, as I said, unique… and their story engaging. Neal Shusterman can do no wrong in my eyes, so, yes, you could say that I am a fan. Unwind got me hooked and I am so glad to have found this.

OK, Enough of the gushing. The plot itself was quite different from the things I had been reading. I was in dire need of decent YA read and Bruiser delivered. HOWEVER, I did find myself having flashbacks of Stephen King’s Green Mile. Not just for the big hulk of a protagonist in that one, but also because of what made said big hulk of a guy special. So, while Brewster is not the first of his kind, I still found myself drawn into his story. Why?

Well, first there were all the other characters. Tennyson did not start out as sympathetic. In fact, he started out as an ass. Bronte, was starting to sound too good to be true… until the Bruiser entered their lives. Then there’s Brewster/Bruiser himself… One cannot help but like him. A good majority of the characters were not as developed as I had hoped them to be, and I could imagine Mr. Shusterman taking all of them a whole deeper level… but as it is Bruiser, was OK.

And then there’s the hook. What made Bruiser so special, so different anyway? When you do find out, you find yourself asking the same questions that Bronte was throwing him.

I could throw in the alternating POVs of Brewster, Tennyson and Bronte, and sometimes Cody as well… but I’d be repetitive. Suffice to say, the story telling was seamless. From one point to another, we jump… and thankfully, each jump was not jarring.

Now the negatives. There's free verse in it. I do not like free verse. Why, oh why was there free verse in this one? And I would have loved to see more of Cody’s POV.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bruiser.