Pvw's Reviews > Don't Move

Don't Move by Margaret Mazzantini

Oct 25, 2010

did not like it
Read in November, 2008

With more joy than ever I closed this book. I should have stopped early, but the pure fascination of such a load of cheap tearjerking sentimentality making it into a movie, compelled me to finish it and then be able to diss it with full right of speaking. This is a silly story about a guy who once had a mistress. When his daughter is undergoing critical surgery, he decides to have an imaginary conversation with his daughter in which he comes clean about the adultery. The sheer sentimentality of this guy is totally unrealistic. He is attracted to his mistress, whom he first rapes, because she is so ugly! Then he starts considering true love forever. In his regular life, he is a bit jealous of his friend Manlio because Manlio has a bigger house. And the guy constantly feels insecure of what other people think of him. The pregnancy of his wife carrying his unborn daughter he describes as "a weaving machine of desires from which you would soon emerge" (???!)

It is clear that Mazzantini has tried to enter the mind of a man, but failed and projected a woman into it, and not just a normal one but an emotionally instable, hysterical nutcase. Never have I literally vomited over the pages of a book, but in this "Non ti muovere", it was touch-and-go on more than one occasion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Move.