Shawn's Reviews > Woman of Honor

M 50x66
Oct 22, 2013

did not like it
Read from January 03 to April 13, 2012

Update: If you're considering this book as an empowering story of a girl growing up to be a strong, independent woman and Knight of the Realm avoid this book. I think you'll be much happier with Alanna: The First Adventure and the rest of the Song of the Lioness series.

Betrayed is the best word to describe my feelings by the time I was finished with this book. As advertised, the story begins with a great, empowering tone - with the young daughter running away from home to become a knight so she's not a burden on her poor family. But about half-way through, the story started a long, slow slide back to tired old gender stereotypes.

I wanted to throw this book into a bottomless pit several times, but forced myself to finish so that I could be sure to give an accurate review. By the end of this book it had become a "traditional", if subtle, indoctrination of religious gender roles and vilification of the neighboring peoples - who are not only described as dark-skinned but also as "barbarians" intent on kidnapping, killing and raping. There's even the obligatory "why do they hate us [kind, loving folk]?" refrain.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woman of Honor.

01/20/2012

TheFountainPenDiva Thank you for pointing out the race and gender fail everyone else seemed to gloss over. I'm culling my To Be Read shelf and looks like this one is headed to the chopping block.