Malaya Sadler's Reviews > Please Don't Kill the Freshman

Please Don't Kill the Freshman by Zoe Trope

4205583
Oct 31, 2010

Read from October 24 to 30, 2010

I loved this book. While there is no real plot, there really isn't meant to be one. It's a memoir of Zoe Trope's freshman and sophomore years as a student in Seattle. But it's less of an eternal whine about the hardships of being fourteen, etc, and more of a rumination on the whys and hows and why not?s of life in general. PDKTF does a brilliant job of capturing the moment, of feeling an emotion and handing it to you as it is. There are no embellishments when the narrator speaks, just a different way of saying things in just as many words. The way Zoe Trope writes is amazing, it's like poetry in narrative form. The descriptions of the tiniest things are unlike any other - they make you pay attention to the most minuscle details and learn to love them. When you take into account that she was fourteen when she wrote the book, it's even more surprising. There is, however, this omnipresent teenage angst cloud hanging over the book. It gets sort of irritating as the book progresses - the "I-don't-know-who-I-am-and-its-driving-me-crazy" theme gets a little tiresome after a while. It's interesting to watch how Zoe matures and becomes less focused on the trivial and more introspective as time goes on. Her ambiguous sexual orientation also lends a refreshing aspect to the book, a whole new spin on the aforementioned teenage angst/identity crisis theme.
This book is unlike any other than you will ever read. Makes you want to write - because, after all, it was written by a freshman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Don't Kill the Freshman.

10/24/2010 page 154
51.0% "I started this book because Tolstoy was moving too slowly, that just didn't correspond with my own life at the moment. So I picked up Please Don't Kill the Freshman, and I haven't been disappointed. Other than the title being a perfect description, the writing style is so original and vaguely poetic - and, believe it or not, was written by a freshie herself."