Tressa 's Reviews > High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places

High Exposure by David Breashears

Jan 17, 08

bookshelves: biography, mountaineering, adventure, autobiography

I was looking forward to reading David Breashears' High Exposure because his name had been mentioned many times in other mountaineering books I read and enjoyed.

However, this book dragged for me until he started writing about the IMAX filming that coincided with the infamous 1996 Everest disaster. I appreciated the extra tidbits of information from him that I didn't get from other books about the disaster.

I did enjoy reading about his early life, his family hardships, and how he started making a name for himself rock climbing, but the middle just didn't do it for me. I really felt for his neglected young bride; perhaps he should stay married to his camera and think twice about ever getting married to a real live woman again.

It's probably not fair to judge Breashears against Krakauer as a writer, but Krakauer just has a way with words. He is almost poetic when he describes the most mundane events of mountain climbing or hiking. There are parts of his Into the Wild that do read like poetry.

I recently bought the Everest DVD, and it is breathtaking and well made. So even if I don't enjoy Breashears as a writer, I do enjoy him as a film maker and appreciate his work with bringing the sport of mountaineering to the couch-potato masses.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Exposure.