Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Kiss of Midnight

Jul 15, 2011

bookshelves: i-own
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** *Contains detailed sex scenes*

I’ve been hearing some good things about this series for a while and up until now I’ve been hesitant to try it. In all honesty, I don’t even know why, but eventually I caved and got myself a copy of this book. And boy, am I glad I did! I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
There are undeniable similarities within this series to J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood, but Lara Adrian stamps her own take on vampires and has a unique idea on the vampirism history in this series. While the similarities are there, there are a few differences that set the two apart. Slightly different characters, a slightly different world and a different back story all give this book (and series) a personality of its own.

The characters in this series are dark and raw, with issues and pasts that haunt them. Again the characters, especially the warrior’s reminded me of the Brotherhood, but I found I liked them and felt for them regardless. I have a feeling that each and every one of these men are going to be tortured and bitter in some way, shape or form and that their stories are gonna each be a hell of a ride, but I’m looking forward to learning about each and every one of them.
I really liked the concept of Breedmates. While it’s not rare to find “mates” in paranormal series’, especially those featuring vampires or similar supernatural creatures, Breedmates are slightly different. I like the idea that they’re the only human woman who can reproduce the next generation of vampires and their status within the Breed world.

Personally, I really liked both Lucian and Gabrielle, but I found that I didn’t feel as much for them as I expected too. I really enjoyed them as I read the book and was totally vying for them to find their happy ending (like I’d want anything else) but once I finished the book and put it down, they didn’t linger on my mind or take control of my thoughts. Were they a great couple? Yes, they were. Was there chemistry there? For sure. Do they complete each other? Well, duh! But will they stay in my mind like a lot of those characters? Yea—no, probably not. Still, I liked them as individuals and together they rocked---I hope they live a long happy life together.

This book was a pleasant surprise for me. I loved the world and think many of the characters have real potential to be great. Similarities aside, I think fans of J.R. Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood will jump at this series and adore it.
I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series and learning more about the Breed world....
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Midnight.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Rachel, you LIKED this??? How could you get past the awful hero and beyond stupid heroine? Um, haha. :) Hi.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Ah....yeah. Lol. You know me.....I like these kinda things. I admit I wasn't that fussed on the main characters. They're def not one of the better couples out there in PNR.
And hello =)

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) LOL! I just got creeped out that Lucan let humans die without lifting a finger to help them, and the heroine going to that abandoned mental hospital at night...what was that? Hehe.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Idk about her but I really hated that about the vampires in this series. It's the one thing that gets to me. They're just so callous in that retrospect---didn't like that :(

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Uh-huh. !!! I was hoping maybe it was just Lucan but the others seem just as bad. The BDB vampies are nicer than that! ;)

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Well, I kinda have books 2 and 3 on order from BD, so we'll see how we go, lol.
The worlds are very similar, but the BDB boys beat them hands down!

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Cool. I hope you like theeeem. And let me know, 'cause I might want to read them if they get better hero-wise. I never thought I'd see the day I agreed BDB boys are superior lol. =)

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I'll let you know, but in the end they probably just won't be your kind of thing. I liked the first one cos it was a quick, easy read.
HEY! No knocking on my boys! Ahahahahahha

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Hehehe. True. I'm reading the Demonica series right now. I'm on Lore's book. I see what you mean about the mixed emotions!

LOL! I'm not, I'm not. I like all of them...they're just not my absolute favorites. =D

BTW...I'm gonna be in Sydney either at the end of next month, or the month after...probably September. My dad was like: I'm going to Sydney, wanna come? ^^ As if he had to ask.

message 10: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Jul 23, 2011 11:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Ohhh, really. Do you like the books so far??

Smart girl. Otherwise, I'd have to open a can of whoop-ass on ya! LOL. =D

Ahhhhhh! REALLY?!? OMG. We so have to meet up!!! I'd love the chance to meet you in person!! Let me know when you're gonna be here and we should totally work something out!

message 11: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Jul 23, 2011 11:49PM) (new) - added it

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yes! I liked them a lot more than I expected, but to be honest I'm having trouble with Lore's book. It seems kinda boring compared to the others. And I'm sure you know how I feel about Sin muahaha. But I enjoy them. And Wraith. Mostly Wraith.

Uh-ohhhh. Should I get my blankets??? Haha!

Yep! I thought he was kidding, but apparently not. I'm SO excited, but nervous for the century long plane voyage (with my weirdo dad). And YES, me too! Yesyesyes. I'll let you know for sure.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Yeah. Lore's book did that to me too. Out of them all it's the one I remember least too. I enjoyed it when I read it, but now....it's not really etched in my brain.
I actually really, really liked Sin. She's not what she appears and her book wasn't what i expected.
Oh, yes. I liked Wraith too. Like...a lot!

Oh, honey.....those blankets wouldn't be able to save you. Hehe ;)

You should be excited---you get to meet me! Ha! Little bit egotistical there, but whatever. Hmmmm, I don't know how long a trip it is, but I'm sure it'll fly by. How long are you guys gonna be here for??

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Mhm. Lore did absolutely nothing for me. I just couldn't bring myself to care about either him or Idess. Hmm...So there's a chance I might change my mind about her, then? Will she become less of a bitch? I mean, I realize her past sucks, but that doens't make her bitchiness enjoyable hehe. Everyone says she's the femal version of Wraith...but he was never as mean as Sin.

Oh no? Well, I guess it'll have to be my rock, then!

Hahahahaha! Exactly. You are obviously the source of my excitement. But really...you are. I'd probably just sit in my hotel room otherwise. :) :) Nice try, but I doubt it. =D The flight's gonna be at least 21 hours. I don't even like 2-hr plane rides lol. Umm, I'm not sure. I think maybe a week.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I cared about them when I was reading their book, but not really now. And no where compared to what I did Wraith and Sin.
Yes, she will be less of a bitch, but she'll still have her bitchy moments. I think she's probably an acquired taste, that isn't really for everyone.

I crush rocks for breakfast!

Aw, I feel so special! Haha =)
It's gonna be so great! I live a little bit outside the city, but I'll totally take the train in to meet you. We can make a massive day of it. I'll show you some of Sydney. Well, what I know of it that is, which oddly isn't that much. LOL.
Whoa! Yeah. That is a long plane ride. I didn't realised it was that long. I was thinking like 12-14 hours, but I think I'm thinking of Britain there.
Awesome....plenty of time to make you wish you'd never met me. Hehe....kidding =P

message 15: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Jul 25, 2011 05:53PM) (new) - added it

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yeah, there's just not much memorable about them, especially in THAT series, with it's really strong characters. Haha, okay. I started it today. Already she seems less annoying, so I'm hoping for the best. I realllly want to like her!

Aha, but my rock is not any rock! You'll have to find it in order to crush it.

:) :) Good! Cooool!!! Lol, since I'll know nothing, anything you know will seem like a lot. I'm sure it'll be fun no matter what we do. It'll definitely be worth the torture of the flight. Yeah, pretty much. It would be about 10 hours to the UK.
Ohhh, I already wish I'd never met you! Bahahaha. JK, JK. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll wish you never met me, either! ^^

message 16: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Jul 26, 2011 01:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Yes. Did you end up liking Shade and Runa?
That's good =) Maybe you will end up liking her. Guess we'll have to see.

Hmmmm.... *goes off to find rock*

Lmao! You'd think I'd know Australia backwards seeing as I live here, but I tend to spend most of my time outside the city in my little town. Lol.
Hey! Oh, I see how it is. Fine. Show yourself around---hope you don't get eaten by a shark! Kidding!
*gasp* Wish I never met you?!? Never! I probably won't want to let you go home. I may have to hide in your suitcase back to the States ^_^

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Well, actually...I did like both of them. I didn't LOVE either of them, but I thought they were really interesting characters. Runa got a little strange toward the end, and even for a paranormal it seemed strange to have the whole werewolf mating ritual thing. But yeah...As for Sin...I'm still undecided, but I don't hate her, at least. =)

Good luck with that! You'll be searching until your legs fall off.

Hahaha, that sounds like me. I lived in Massachusetts for 18 years and yet I can't name a single street in Boston. NO!!! I can't believe you went there. SHARKS!!! Now I can't come, cuz if the plane crashes in the ocean I will be eaten! Hahahaha.
Aww! And I'll never want to leave. :) Totally hide in my suitcase--it's like my rock. It looks small, but once you're inside...maybe I'll kindap a couple of hot guys and stuff them in there with you muahahaha! 8)

message 18: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Jul 26, 2011 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Really?!? Wow. I thought you'd despise them. They drove me up the wall and I found I actually like them both more not in their book, but when they appear in the other characters.
Lol. Well. At least you don't hate her, that's gotta be something.

Humph!

IRofl! I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I can name a few of the streets in Sydney, mostly the ones I know not to go, but give me a map and I'm pretty sure I can find my way.....eventually.
Ha! Yes, I did go there =D And you better come. Don't make me fly there and drag you here. Don't worry about sharks. We haven't had an attack in a couple of months....
^_^ It's gonna be so good, but talking about it has got me all excited. I'll have to make you try all kinds of Aussie stuff.....Vegimite is at the top of the list :-D
Ooooh. Sounds good! I'll totally set up home there....a few guys and me all alone....it could work ;)
But don't forget a guy or two or six for yourself!

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Haha, I expected to hate them as well, but Runa didn't become majorly weird until the whole BDSM scene. Shade was just...Idk I guess I knew what to expect. Yep! Though her woe is me attitude is a BIT grating. ;)

=)=)

Mhm! Hahaha, that's definitely more than I can say! I think I know more about Orlando than Boston...since I actually live IN Orlando. AHaAHAHAHA! A couple of months!?!?!?! You meanie! As long as I avoid water at all costs, I will survive, so I'll get past it. LOL! You're making me even more excited than I am already! Yesyeysyesyes. Make me try a LOT of stuff. I hafta start being more adventurous. Vegimite! ^_^ Man, I'm just sitting hear grinning. Haha, of course not! The more guys the better!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I could get past that with Runa. That kind of thing doesn't really bother me. I guess I just disliked that, after everything Shade did to her, she kinda let go of it.

Lol. Well, you should. Is Orlando a really big city though? Or medium sized? I admit I don't know much about the US. Just what I read in books and see on Tv, which is mostly places like New York and San Francisco.
Haha! Yeeeah. Not that long, but I'm pretty sure no one died. Well, considering Sydney is surrounded by water and there is Sydney Harbour which is well, a harbour, there is water everywhere =D Oh, Oh....I know. We should go to the aquarium =D And see sharks! But in a safe way. Oh, wanna swim with the sharks?? You can you know.
I WILL make you try stuff...starting with Vegemite. You can't visit Down Under and not try Vegemite....it's simply not done.
There are plenty of guys in Sydney....surfer guys ^_^

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Hmm. That's interesting, cuz I felt like she held onto it for a looong time. Sort of felt as if he was paying her back for the whole book. Maybe if I'd liked her more it would have bothered me LOL.

Umm. Hmm. I've never really thought about it, but it seems pretty big to me. Then again, I've literally been to boston maybe fifteen times total...ever, and those times mostly consisted of me walking into an airport. Apparently Orlando is 202 square miles, Boston is 179.2 sq miles, and NYC is...enormous, not even worth comparing LOL, because...well it's New York. Orlando is mostly tourists and vacations locations and hotels and all that.

Indeed, but that doesn't require me to actually come into physical contact with the water LMAO! And I'd rather not have a limb bitten off, if at all possible. =D HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, I'd LOVE to go to the aquarium. As long as the sharks are behind glass, I'll be great.
Good! I can't WAIT. Hehe, I think maybe my dad tried it the first time he came down, but I don't remember what he said about it. Ohh, sounds good. There are pretty much no guys anywhere near my age in Orlando. It's all old people and little kids or married men.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Really? I think it probably stems from the fact that, with me, I don't think someone should ever forgive cheating like that. To me there was just no need for it. Still, it's nice to see a series you kinda like. Even if it's just a little bit. Do you think you'll read the spin-off?

Honestly, I hve no idea how big Sydney is---I've never really thought about it. I go to Sydney mainly on shopping trips with my friends, but then I mainly stay in the shopping centres and I've been to a couple of parties/functions. Oh, and school excursions and trips growing up. And once or twice to a few clubs---but I didn't really like them too much :( The girls there were too wild. And drunk.
I'd like to visit the US one day myself. Looks like there's plenty of things to see.

True. Just don't fall in. My brother did that once and my uncle had to jump in after him cos he wasn't that good a swimmer.
Lol. Then we should go. The only thing I hate about it is where you walk on the glass and you can see all the fish and that swimming underneath you. I keep feeling like it's gonna break *shudders*
Do you have water/sea parks over there in the States. With dolphins and seals and sharks and all that?
Most foreigners don't seem to like it, but I think that's just because they eat spoon fulls which is just gross. Even I would never do that. You have to enjoy it on a sandwich =D
Sydney's full of them, although the hottest ones either seem to have girlfriends or are gay. But no one said we can't look ^_^

message 23: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Jul 28, 2011 02:36PM) (new) - added it

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) True. I think if it had been non-fantasy it would have bothered me more, but since it's about demons I could kind of let it go. AND I even thought about if it had been Runa who was the succubus cheating on Shade, and I STILL didn't get that worked up about it. I think if I liked Shade more, like I said, I would have been more disappointed. Yeah, I'll prob read the spin-off some time in the future.

Haha, yeah, I had no idea how big Boston or Orlando were, either. Wikipedia hehe. I've still never been to a club. I don't see myself liking it but I guess you never know. Probably! Everyone loves NYC, which I DESPISE and Los Angeles, which I also despise LOL. Wow, I'm making a trip to the US sound really enticing! I should be a travel agent... :D But yeah, I'm sure there are a lot cool places to visit that I've never been to.

AHH! Lol. I'm not falling in any water. It's too risky. ;) Ohh, that sounds so cool, though! It does sound kinda freaky, but, still. Well, Orlando is basically the place to go for sea parks lol, but to be honest they're pretty sucky for all the hype. I saw maybe one shark the whole time I was at Sea World.
Haha, yeah I always hear about people just eating it right off a spoon. LOL. Trust me, I'm not picky when it comes to real-life guys...I'm sure I'll be drooling over 90% of them. Haha, how cool do I sound? Besides, clearly all it will take is one look at me to have them dumping their girlfriends...not. Hahaha, JK, I'm seriously living in a fantasy world. ANYWAY...

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I like the series. It was any easy, fun one to read, but it's not one of my faves or that I think will stay with me for a long time. I plan to read it too, but I have no idea when.

LOL! Oh, gotta love Wiki! I've been too a couple since I've been 18. The atmosphere is really good, but sometimes the people who go kinda ruin it. I much prefer going to a pub or bar and having a couple of drinks with mates. It's more laid back :)
LMAO! What is it about NY and Los Angeles that you don't like? Is it too much of the city-ness of it? Cos I tend to dislike that myself too sometimes.

It was pretty funny afterwards....but not at the time. He was about 6 and this was one of the few times we spent with my mum's brother (not the crazy one). Not a good way to endear him to her, lol ;)
Good, cos I'm not that great a swimmer and if I have to jump in after you we'd probably both drown. Haha.
Oh. Well, at the aquarium in Sydney there are tonnes and tonnes of sharks...and dolphins, and seals, and penguins and cute marine life like that =) They even have programs where you can swim--well, it's more like dive--with the sharks if you want to.
Yeah---ick. It's yummy, strong stuff and just not meant to be eaten like that.
I'm not picky when it comes to perving on guys. Dating them is another story. I'm soooooo picky with who I date :) Exactly! LMAO. They'd be like, "Girlfriend? What girlfriend?" and then follow you back to America, ahahahahaha. Hmmmm, I need to get myself a boyfriend *sigh*

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yeah, it has something about it that really keeps you into the story when you're reading it, but I wouldn't rush to read them again.

Haham yup! Yeah, I can imagine there would be some people who take it a little too far LOL! Laid back is always better. YES. With NYC it's all gray. Everywhere. Building everywhere. No trees at ALL. It's just so fake seeming, not like real life, and it just seems really ugly to me. Not to mention the illegal venders every ten feet who jump on you and beg you to buy their stuff...in a really creepy way. I'd be killed for saying this, but everything seems dead to me in NYC when it's supposed to be the opposite. With L.A. it's a little different, cuz at least there are trees and REAL sunlight. I mean, I don't mind some parts of L.A., but it's just too city-ish, too big, too many people who stare at you like they want to rip your face off LOL.

I didn't think it would be funny! I would have been like OMG don't drown! Like that time I told you about when I pushed that little girl who couldn't swim into the deep end of a pool. So not funny!
Lol, yeah...I'm not the best swimmer either. I haven't been swimming in over four years...so I'm prob even worse now!
AHHHHH. They couldn't pay me a million dollars to get in a tank with sharks. Eek. They have this killer whale show at Sea World here, and one of the trainers actually got killed by the whale during a show...it's just so dangerousssss.
Haha, I don't know if I'm picky about dating them. Maybe. I tend to base that more on their personality whereas the perving is about what they look like lol. I've only been asked out once, and the guy was...I just wasn't attracted to him and on top of that, he's one of those guys who doesn't care what you have to say, just likes to hear himself talk. But really, his hair is past his waist...I find that kinda off-putting on a guy.
Oh, totally! The guys in America won't even give me a first glance, let alone a second one, but clearly the guys in Australia will see my appeal LOL! They'll all stampede toward me--which could be dangerous, so you may want to keep your distance...Bahahahahaa. Yeah, Krista, you keep telling yourself that. =D
Me too. Boyfriend. :'(