♥ Melody 's Reviews > Pleasure for Pleasure

Pleasure for Pleasure by Eloisa James

Alright of the 4 from this series I was really looking forward to this one. I love Josie and was really curious and excited to see what would happen to her in this book but I was disappointed. First off the description on the back of the book (seen above) is very misleading and a bit confusing which is why the story was a bit of a surprise and a 'twist' for me. I seriously was not expecting for Josie and Mayne to come together. But it was a nice beautiful surprise. What was disappointing for me was that I felt James spent more time on the secondary characters and ensemble cast then the primary characters which she intends to do in her other books. While I love the characters she puts in the books it tends to get in the way of the love story the book *should* be focused on which is really frustrating and tiring at times.

There is a secondary couple in this which I felt was filler and could have been left out. Darlington and Giselda were interesting characters but I wanted to see more of Mayne and Josie. I didn't want to read about the surprise love affair between secondary characters or the mysterious author of a gossip book. That was background noise to me that the book could have done without IMO. I felt the book was a two parter rather then one. I adore Mayne he's such a charming whitty rakish character you grow to love through the series. And the fact that he's the one to come to Josie's 'rescue' and falls for her makes it even more endearing. And the age difference made it even more charming. I just wish James spent more time on THEM, I was left wanting more about them. Eloisa got carried away with the background characters which is a shame. I wish I could give this a 5 star or even 4 but I can't. There wasn't enough of Josie and Mayne for me to fully enjoy this, which is a real shame because the elements were all there. I really wish James would stop packing her books with so many supporting characters and side stories, it tends to get in the way of the actual story. Less is more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pleasure for Pleasure.