Katherine Coble's Reviews > The Warded Man

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: books-i-force-on-everyrone-i-meet
Read from October 24, 2010 to November 16, 2011, read count: 2

I've now read through this twice, and on the second read I'm afraid I've got to reduce my formerly-five-star review to 4.5 stars.

The book is still a wonderful _story_ in an imaginative place, well-drawn for the reader. Compared to a lot of other entries in the Fantasy category, this is a book I can and have re-read delightedly.

However, in reading it through the second time I realised that things started to fall apart at the last 10% of the story; Brett's telling of events once things fall into place lacks a bit of the fire and charm of the bulk of the novel. Of course, this is a minor quibble coming from someone who liked the book enough to read it twice and will doubtless read it yet again. It's a quibble that really only takes the book down to 4.75 or so.

So why did I drop a whole star?

Well, I realise I'm probably being petty here, but taking away a star is the only revenge I have open to me. When I first read this in 2010 it was called _The Warded Man: Book One Of The Demon Trilogy_. Now I see that it is _The Warded Man: Demon Cycle #1_. Yep. Once again the powers that be have decided to just keep gouging away at what was a strong story, diluting it to turn a trilogy into a never-ending pantheon of weak-sauced storylets.

I'm not impressed, and I'm withholding my effusive praise in light of the fact that the publishers just turn it against us time and again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warded Man.