Latricia's Reviews > The Trouble with May Amelia

The Trouble with May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm

4193379
Oct 24, 2010

I was very lucky to get an advance copy of this for review. I loved My Only May Amelia and was delighted to see a sequel. May Amelia's voice is still very unique and takes some getting used to, but personally I like it. She sounds a lot like many of the kids I work with who have recently learned english and like May serve as translators for their parents.

In My Only May Amelia, May Amelia and her family dealt with losing her sister. In Trouble, they get on with life and deal with more problems. Much is made of a business deal and May's translating for her father. While that is a large part of the end of the novel, there is a ton of life that happens in the first 2/3s of the book. May is forced to grow up and face some harsh realities including that life isn't fair, big brothers and parents are just human and sometimes they will disappoint you.

Give this one to readers who loved Little House or any girl who has a passel of older brothers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trouble with May Amelia.