Lois's Reviews > Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys

Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon

Oct 24, 10

Read in October, 2010

This is one non-fiction book that I have read cover to cover, and that is really rare for me. I have been seeking a book that might help me understand my son better and how to help him grow-up to be an emotionally, psychologically healthy man. I finally found a good one, after LOTS of lemons.

This authors of this book are psychologists who bring many years of experience to this topic. They are also talented writers who are able to convey vast amounts of psychological knowledge in easy to understand terms and weave it together with numerous case study examples that are presented in story form. This inclusion of multiple true-life stories is most likely what kept me reading.

I learned a lot from Raising Cain about how to understand Max's energy level, need for approval and admiration, desire to be seen as powerful and intelligent, and how to raise him to rise above the cultural stereotypes of men that our culture has created. I highly recommend it for mothers of boys, and I will keep my copy close by to refer back to as Max gets older and goes through new phases and changes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Cain.