Brooke's Reviews > Shattered Souls

Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 26 to 27, 2011

QUICK REVIEW: eeeep! This book was ah-FREAKIN'-mazing!! I am at a lost of words for that ending! So, so, SO good! Everybody needs to buy this book when it comes out, it's an awesome, awesome story! It's so much more than just a "ghost story" GAH!! i don't know how to explain it, besides SHATTERED SOULS IS FANTASTIC!! <3 <3 <3 oh! and I love Alden... that is all!

FULL REVIEW: The concept of this book was simply incredible and I was mesmerized from page one!

I may be a tad biased because ghost stories are my absolute favorite, but this book was soo much more than that! It had everything; the creeps, action, danger, romance, sadness, and humor. I seriously can’t praise it enough!

I think I may have a tad bit of a girl crush on Lenzi. Fer Realz! She’s so down to earth but like totally unique (umm...how freakin’ cool is it that she does origami!? Yeah, pretty freakin’ cool!) And she’s extremely compassionate and spunky and not afraid to kick a spirit's ass! She’s the perfect gal to be a Speaker!

I was in awe the whole time I was reading about the world of Speakers and Protectors! I don’t know how to explain the concept, but it was seriously mind-blowing! Especially when Lenzi would let another soul speak through her...ZEEP! It was spine tingling! Not knowing exactly what a hindered spirit wanted or needed in order to pass on was creepy and captivating and suspenseful and had me on. freakin’. edge!

And of course, every Speaker needs a Protector, right?! Enter Alden! SQUEEEEE! I am totally and completely in love with him! He’s witty and gorgeous and protective and just *sighs* perfect! Not to mention he can make one hell of a cup of hot chocolate, take away your anxiety with a simple touch, annnnd probably would like to be handcuffed. ---> *swoons* *drools* *dies*

"I feel your soul responding to your emotions. We're linked. It's how I found you. It's how I protect you." ARC Pg 37

He. responds. to. her. soul. GAH! How amazing is that?! Talk about taking “soul mates” to another level! *wistfully stares off into space daydreaming about Alden*

*10 minutes later*

Umm, right back to the review! Another character I really liked was Alden’s comrade, Race! First of all, that name is made of awesome. And second, he was just a good guy, always saying something funny or insightful.

As for Zak, Lenzi’s “boyfriend” I liked him in the beginning but then he kept showing up when I didn’t want him to!! HUMPFF! and ugh! and just...he is no Alden!

AH! Back to Alden and Lenzi! Their banter was so hilariously cute! And the angst! Oh, man the angst! And all the...ehem...sexual tension between them, I was just like, “MAKE THE EFF OUT ALREADY!” They’re pretty much one of the most tantalizing couples I’ve ever read about! No Lie. I LOVE THEM!

I did not want this book to end! But alas it had to, and I was dying of suspense the last 10 pages! I almost had a heart attack, I was freaking out so much! And then some things went down that I was NOT expecting...AT all. And I was in shock!

This is an ABSOLUTE MUST READ. The cover is gorgeous, the story is gorgeous and I hope to goodness there is a sequel! I NEED MORE Alden & Lenzi, I NEED more soul sharing AND I NEED more eerie ghostly encounters. EEEEEP, I love this book, make sure you go buy it in December!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Souls.

Quotes Brooke Liked

Mary Lindsey
“His hair was still wet, and he was in a black long-sleeved T-shirt and tattered blue jeans. His feet were bare. Casual. Comfortable. Gorgeous.”
Mary Lindsey, Shattered Souls

07/26/2011 page 9
3.0% "is it possible to jump from fright while reading a book? Because that totally just happened! EEEP!"
07/26/2011 page 15
4.0% "why the HECK is Zak drinking at a grave yard?"
07/26/2011 page 22
7.0% "The boys says 6 words and i already love him!"
07/26/2011 page 30
9.0% "yep- Officially Team Alden! <3"
07/26/2011 page 37
11.0% ""I feel your soul responding to your emotions." UMM...how FLUPPIN' SWEET IS THAT?!?"
07/26/2011 page 39
12.0% "oh! perrrfect timing Zak....NOT!"
07/26/2011 page 42
13.0% ""Well. He's quite the catch." BAHAHA! oh, Alden, you're cute AND funny!"
07/26/2011 page 57
17.0% "grrrrrr! Zak! you always show up when i DON'T WANT YOU TO!"
07/26/2011 page 89
26.0% "How freakin' cool that she does origami!" 1 comment
07/26/2011 page 104
31.0% "*swoons* Oh my GOD! THIS BOY!!!! <3" 2 comments
07/26/2011 page 110
33.0% "THIS boy is SO DAMN CUTE--->"Ah, that's Joe Bear," Alden said. "We were inseparable through second grade. He likes milk and animal cookies.""
07/26/2011 page 138
41.0% ""Maybe I should act like Spook and just lick his face." BAHAHA! i would! ;)" 2 comments
07/26/2011 page 148
44.0% "Race is a SWEET-ASS NAME!!"
07/26/2011 page 178
53.0% "DUDE!! this IS exciting!!! :)"
07/26/2011 page 180
54.0% ""He must be having a great time." BAHAHAHA!!"
07/26/2011 page 181
54.0% "AH! the cops! i'm scared too!!"
07/26/2011 page 181
54.0% "HANDCUFFS!!! HAHAHAHA!!!"
07/26/2011 page 204
61.0% ""Would you prefer to do it on the hood?" BAHA! OMG this booooyy!!! <3 <3 <3" 3 comments
07/27/2011 page 212
63.0% "oh, their witty banter makes me smile like a crazy person!! <3"
07/27/2011 page 240
71.0% "eeep! umm, i just got super creeped out!"
07/27/2011 page 296
88.0% "ALDEN, NOOO!! you stupid boy!! *SOBS*"
07/27/2011 page 312
93.0% "Well...i didn't see THAT coming..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brie I'm in awe at how you keep getting your hands on all of the books that I'm dying to read.

Emily How did you get this book? It isn't even out yet.

Brooke Emily wrote: "How did you get this book? It isn't even out yet."

the publisher sent it to me! :)