Peter Krol's Reviews > Towers of Midnight

Oct 24, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction
Read from December 06, 2010 to April 21, 2011

If I knew 13 years ago what I know now, I probably would never have begun reading the Wheel of Time series.

It's really fun. It has some terrific ideas. I can't wait to see how it's going to end. I'm committed.

But that's the problem. I don't really have much more motivation to read the series anymore beyond the fact that I'm committed to it.

This book was fun. Some exciting things happened that we've been waiting for for a long time. But it took 500 pages before I felt like the pace of the story was "worth it."

In addition, the series has gotten soooooooooo looooooooooong that Sanderson felt the need to re-explain every little detail all over again. I didn't think it helped the pacing. It didn't help to advance the plot. It just brought me to the brink of utter despair wondering if it was ever going to end.

I plan to read the final book when it is published next year. I've read the entire series to myself. I've also read the entire thing out loud to my wife. I am committed. But I don't recommend the Wheel of Time to anyone anymore, at least not if I care about them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Towers of Midnight.

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I don't know anything about this book or series, but I must admit that I'm surprised to see such a low rating on a Robert Jordan book from you!

Peter Krol Yeah, I didn't have time to write a review the other night when I posted my rating. I'll do so now, and it might help you to understand this anomaly for me. :)

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan That helps. The last line of your review is a great one.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike That is one problem characteristic of every volume. It treats you as if you are a new reader to the series. It repeats way too much which drains the life out of the committed fan. It is surprising the editors allowed this.

message 5: by Sam (last edited Apr 30, 2015 05:36PM) (new)

Sam Egas Sadly, I have to 99% agree with you. I had to stick with this book because of a school project and it was just torture. I couldn't wait to get to page 861 (the last page)! I do however disagree (the 1%) with the fact that he added too much detail that may have been in the previous books however just because I haven't read the other books. But if I had read the other books I most likely would have hated these details just as much as you. Robert Jordan probably could write an entire novel on how to tie your shoe just because it seemed like in this book it would take pages for him just to describe Perrin's body language or how he was walking. I would not recommend this book/series to anyone as well.