April's Reviews > Until I Find You

Jan 17, 08

bookshelves: couldn-t-wouldn-t-finish
Recommended to April by: Seattle Public Library, based on my checkout history
Recommended for: iron stomachs

** spoiler alert ** Yes, I gave it 3 stars. What I read was beautifully written.

Alas, I am far more sensitive than you, my loved ones, may realize. The graphic detail of the years of intense sexual abuse to which our boy protagonist was victim, starting at the age of 4, was just too much for me. It was horrifying, in fact. I made it to age 10 (not even halfway through the book) and returned it to the library between my thumb and forefinger.

How could someone even write this detail without first-hand victim experience? Or for that matter, epic bouts of weeping? I would hate to have been a fly on his writing studio wall while this was penned. I would have drowned myself in Irving's liquor of choice.

I saw someone reading this on the bus yesterday with a horrified look on his face, by the way, hence this review: my penance for not grabbing my fellow rider by the wrist and gently saying, "Just put it down and walk away. It's okay, it's okay, it's okay..."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until I Find You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ds (new)

ds white Great review, by the way. You have a gift for critiques so I would think about going into that field if I were you. I being Joanna (and David agrees). I would also recommend staying away from Mary Gaitskill as well unless you enjoy books about boys getting anally raped in dirty gas station bathrooms by old men. Yeah, I didn't think so either.