Marissa Farrar's Reviews > Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult

Oct 29, 10

Read from October 24 to 29, 2010

** spoiler alert ** ***Contains some spoilers (though I have kept them to the minimum)****

I am a big Jodi Picoult fan. Though many of her books do get a bit samey, I always find myself ploughing through them in a matter of days. Picture Perfect was no different, though it wasn't the best of her novels.

Cassie is married to Alex Rivers, Hollywood's hottest star, but when she is discovered in a graveyard by a new, half-Indian police officer, Will, she suffers total amnesia. She is suprised to learn that she is not only an anthropologist, but is also married to Alex Rivers.
On the outside her marriage looks perfect, but Cassie is actually an abused woman, and when she is forced to make the decision if she should stay or go, she learns love isn't always that black and white.

I found it difficult to relate to Cassie because she is an abused woman. I know the difficulty of writing about abused women, as my main charcter in Alone, is also stuck in an abusive marriage.

It is hard to get the balance right, between the woman being an unlikable charcter because she is not strong enough to leave, and the reader finding empathy with her. In Picture Perfect, I struggled to find that empathy, especially when she learns that it is not only her life she is putting at risk.

Saying that, I still enjoyed this book, as any Picoult fans out there will.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Picture Perfect.