kari's Reviews > The Woman in Black

2207055
Nov 11, 10

bookshelves: 2010, 5-star, goodreads-giveaways
Read in November, 2010

This is a ghost story in the very classic style. This isn't Stephen King style, more Edgar Allen Poe or a Victorian tale. The writing style adds to the story, pulling you back into a different time.
I liked the beginning which frames the story and sets the mood for the tale. A story so frightening that the teller, Arthur Kipps, cannot even share it with his family.
The story is very descriptive and atmospheric. You can feel the mist, the chill, see the views out across the marsh and the land.
There is one small thing that bothered me. The math is off. The age of Arthur when he bought the house and when the action takes place and what happens after, the times are a bit off by a few years. I know this doesn't have any real bearing on the story, but it did make me stop and go back to the different pages of the book, add up the dates and confirm that it wasn't correct. I don't know why this sticks out to me, but it interrupted the flow of the story. If it had said he was past thirty-five instead of that he was thirty-five then I wouldn't have been bothered.
If you enjoy reading the classics, you'll enjoy this one. If you are anticipating a scary story with lots of gore, you likely will want to pass this one by. It's more about unexplained sounds and things that go bump in the night.
It does move at a fairly sedate pace with lots of description and it isn't edge of your seat frightening, but the tension does build little by little and the ending is truly horrible.
This is an author I'll definitely read again and I'd definitely recommend this as a scary little tale.

Thank you to Goodreads Giveaways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in Black.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

kari I really liked the movie. I think it is actually a bit more scary than the book, but I consider the time it was written has some factor on that.
The ending of the movie stunned me.

kari OOh interesting. I didn't know about that.