Alexa's Reviews > Saltwater Moons

Apr 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: aussie, tour, young-adult, 2011-reads, borrowed
Read from April 25 to 28, 2011

When I finished Saltwater Moons last night, I had mixed feelings. There were a lot of things that happened that brought out my anger, but I just could not stop reading. I thought the story was intriguing, the setting was nice, and I really liked the writing. (All the Australian books I've read so far have great writing.) Those must have been the reasons why I couldn't put the book down because I know some of the characters weren't the ones who kept me going.

I couldn't sympathize with the main character Sun. I just wasn't able to fully understand her actions and behavior. She allowed the situation between her and Mark to continue... And for what? She knew what type of person Mark was, so it was pretty obvious where the relationship was headed. She also knew that she had feelings for someone else, Mark's friend Tycho. Now, I might have gotten annoyed with Sun, but I don't believe she was a horrible character. She made mistakes like any normal person. I do believe she learned something and gained strength from all this, but I just don't get why she put herself through that. I wish she had the courage to confront Tycho in the first place instead of allowing Mark to take over.

I didn't like Mark. All the things he said to Sun... I'm sure she's not the first girl to hear those words from him. And every time he was with her it never seemed like he was ever completely there. His behavior might be his way of coping with his stressful home life, but I don't believe that's any excuse. As for Tycho, he didn't get nearly as much page-time as Mark, but from what we did get, he sounded like a nice guy. He definitely wasn't perfect though. At least he sounded better than his friend. I honestly wondered what he thought of Mark & Sun. Because, to me, it was obvious Tycho was interested in Sun and shouldn't Mark have known that? But I guess Mark's too selfish to care. And Sun wasn't strong enough to stop it from happening.

I know it may seem like I didn't like this book, and I know it might not make sense with me saying that I have mixed feelings, but overall... I actually did. I just didn't enjoy the decisions and behaviors of certain characters. So would I recommend this book? Yes. And if the author were to write more books, I would definitely be interested in reading them.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saltwater Moons.

04/26/2011 page 95
35.0% "I think I'm on this page... Anyway! I was REALLY enjoying this book until the Mark thing happened. Now I'm like...WHAT??! Are you serious? What's wrong with you?" 4 comments

~Tina~ Great honest review! It really sounds like this Mark guy is trouble!

message 2: by Alexa (last edited Apr 28, 2011 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alexa Yes, trouble when it comes to relationships.
Thanks, Tina!

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Yep I HATED Mark too.....he is evil. Good review Alexa :)

Nomes awesome review.

i kept wondering about TYCHO as well. it was really hard to figure out what he was thinking/feeling regarding the mark and sun thing :/

Alexa Thanks Nic & Nomes! Before I wrote my review, I read over both of your reviews, and it made me feel a whole lot better about it. :)