Natalie's Reviews > Caliban and the Witch: Women, the Body and Primitive Accumulation

Caliban and the Witch by Silvia Federici

Oct 24, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction, favorites, revolution
Read from December 25, 2010 to February 01, 2011

Oh my. This book.

I kept wanting to devour the whole thing, but I had to stop every few pages because it overwhelmed me so much. I haven't learned so much from one book in a very long time.

Parts of this were quite emotional for me. It's not often that non-fiction gets me choked up. Looking back at the history of peasant subjugation, land privatization, witch-hunting, and the creation of capitalism from a historical perpsective made our human errors seem so brazen and clear. I just can't believe we let this all happen! We spend so much time arguing about different things in our society (racism, sexism, inequality, poverty, the role of the state, etc.), but if we don't have an understanding of what gave rise to the status quo, there is no way we can realistically hope to change it.

I am terrible at writing book reviews. But this is seriously one of the most incredible books I have ever read. Federici blew my mind.

If this is what reading feminist Marxist works is always like, GIMME SOME MORE!

In short, you simply must must must read it. ASAP.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caliban and the Witch.

12/31/2010 page 38
13.0% "This is FASCINATING stuff so far. I need to get a paper copy so that I can disappear with it for a few hours in a cafe somewhere."
01/04/2011 page 62
22.0% "Argh. No more available for free on google books. I gotta get me a real copy asap. This stuff is mindblowing."
02/05/2011 page 75
26.0% "Wow. I haven't been this mentally harangued by a book in ages. I can only read about 10 pages before I'm totally overwhelmed by the magnitude of the information. MUST READ!"
02/14/2011 page 190
66.0% "Love. Just love."
11/02/2016 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by mis (new) - rated it 5 stars

mis fit yep, this is amazing.