Claire's Reviews > The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood, and Marriage

The Bitch in the House by Cathi Hanauer

Oct 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: feminist
Read in October, 2010

Contrary to other reviewers, I like when collections of essays/stories have common threads and laser-focused themes. In this case, this group of writer ladies (mainly White, middle-aged, married with children, and middle-class) all lament the conflicts between their notions of feminism and their TRUE LIVES - also how they fight becoming "the bitch in the house," but alwaysssss lose. This book made me feel a little...worried more than annoyed "that they complain about nothing." It isn't nothing if it feels like something to you, right? My only problem with this book is that I wish I were introduced to some more radical ideas/alternatives and I wish the book had included a wider range of female voices. However, like I said, it's focused enough that you can have a sustained kind of conversation with yourself as you read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bitch in the House.