Amelia's Reviews > Silence

Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: own, 2011-2012-reading, best-humor, urban-fantasy
Read from October 17 to 20, 2011

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

The thing that kills me about this series is that I enjoy it while I'm reading it—I mean, I get legitly into it, man—but when I look back on the storyline, I can't help but roll my eyes at how typical it was and I begin to question why I enjoyed it. This battle of the top opinion is kind of scary, actually.

This whole "losing her memory" thing…really?! It's just a chance to relive this whole "meeting again" thing that's really popular in mixed races romances. Not that Patch isn't completely sexy, but seriously. If Nora lost her memory, she could have at least had some kind of attitude change. She was just ignorant—no real change in her character: she grew the same way she did in the first book. And I really don't want that kind of re-hashing. She was even shallower than the first book, if that's possible. Eek. Oh, and she was not as tough as she thought she was.

I'm glad I got to see more of Patch, though. And hey, Jev. Sexy name. Still. SOME ORIGINALITY, PLEASE. Patch, darlin, you're awesome and sexy and everything. But please. Raise your standards a bit, honey. You deserve a girl that meets higher standards.

The one thing that really got me was Vee. Her hatred for all men? That didn't click with me. It was sudden, it was inconsistent, and I didn't buy any of it. Vee just seemed to be thrown in there and didn't have a real part in the story. And Nora's mother? Oh my god. Please, why is the mother always this simpering, practically childish person? Maybe it's just me, but I've never met a mother that's like that. Naturally it wouldn't be her fault because she's "entranced". Oy.

So I had issues with this book. The writing style wasn't as elegant as I'd originally thought in the first two books. There was a lot of telling, not a lot of showing, and Nora just came off pitifully.

And yet…

I was totally glued to the pages. What the heck!? While I was reading, I was totally into it, even though I did almost throw the book across the room a couple of times because Nora is JUST THAT ANNOYING. It was a very enjoyable read, even for all its faults. I can't wait to see what happens next—and I did hear that Becca Fitzpatrick is NOT closing the Hush, Hush series with this book, that she has a fourth book coming out.

Sweet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silence.

10/18/2011 page 282