Ashley Gooding's Reviews > Spying in High Heels

Author: Heather Webber
Characters: 3 out of 5
Plot: 3 out of 5
Overall: 3 out of 5
Format: e-Book (on my Kindle)
Source: Purchased by Myself

Book 1 in the High Heels Series

Description: (Author Website) L.A. shoe designer, Maddie Springer, lives her life by three rules: Fashion. Fashion. Fashion. But when she stumbles upon the work of a brutal killer, her life takes an unexpected turn from Manolos to murder. And things only get worse when her boyfriend disappears - along with $20 million in embezzled funds - and her every move is suddenly under scrutiny by the LAPD's sexiest cop. With the help of her post-menopausal bridezilla of a mother, a 300 pound psychic and one seriously oversexed best friend, Maddie finds herself stepping out of her stilettos and onto the trail of a murderer. But can she catch a killer before the killer catches up to her...

From My Point of View: Lesson Learned from this book? Attitude is everything. And I'm not talking about the characters. I'm talking about me. I started this book up at 9:30 on a night I was BEYOND tired and finished the second half. Badddd Idea. I was irritated and moody and it definitely hindered my feelings toward this book.

This is a fun and quirky book -- definitely a girly read. I would suggest being in the mood for a such a book when you pick this up. It's filled to the binding with shoes and clothing references, which on a normal day doesn't bug me, but in my sleep deprived haze, annoyed me to no end.

As far as the characters go, Maddie annoyed me -- and not just because of my attitude. She was very contradicting as a character. On the one hand, she'd put her life on the line -- literally -- to find Richard. On the other, she didn't have enough courage to pee on a fricken stick! I was SO annoyed about the pregnancy test. Not to mention it was drawn out entirely too long, what with them being expired, stepped on, or when the coke spilled. I was over it.

Ramirez is really what kept me going. He is the very definition of everything I look for in a book hunk. *swoon* If it weren't for him, this entire book would have been a waste of my time.

With all that being said, I honestly feel this series has potential. It's pretty evident this is the author's first book ever. I've actually finished the second one as I write this and it was a VAST improvement. I'm excited to keep going with this series in hopes that I continue to see improvement in each one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spying in High Heels.

03/11/2011 page 160