Amy's Reviews > Normal: Transsexual CEOs, Crossdressing Cops, and Hermaphrodites with Attitude

Normal by Amy Bloom

Oct 23, 10

read count: 1

I found this informative but not encyclopedic, academic without being dry and all in all, very charming. As someone with an interest in intersex, transexual and transgender issues but without any formal academic study on the subjects, I found this an approachable and personable approach to getting started on the subject.

Although Amy Bloom was already one of my favourite writers, I came to this book of case studies after reading Middlesex, the 2002 novel by Jeffrey Eugenides about Cal, an intersexed person with 5-alpha-reductase deficiency. It remains one of my favourite books (I've read it many times since that first time!) and I feel Normal helped to give me a greater insight to Middlesex.

If you're also interested in these subjects, this is a great place to start. Amy Bloom's writing is not at all intimidating while still managing to be insightful, helpful and well researched. It has no ultimate truth; but then, everyone makes their own truth, as I think this book clearly indicates. I would definitely recommend this book. Start here and then branch out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Normal.