Amy's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Oct 23, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
I own a copy, read count: 1

No matter what some of these reviews say, Audrey Niffenegger HASN'T done it again. It's second album syndrome: you can still see why you liked the band, but you're not convinced that you're going to buy the third album.
Her Fearful Symmetry is just not as poignant, as witty, as original, as breathtaking or just as believable as The Time Traveler's Wife.

This isn't a bad book, exactly. If I had read it without reading TTTW, I probably would have enjoyed it more - or, at least, disliked it less. But following as it did after one of my favourite books of all time (top ten, without a single doubt) it's hard to like a book that feels a little flimsy and full of caricatures. While the plot itself is original, somehow the characters aren't. I think that is where this book falls down. Things are left unexplained, too: why does Valentina take such a big step? Was her life that bad? Why does she trust a ghost? Why is everyone so unlikeable? Why don't I care more about these people?

I gave this two stars and I kind of feel that maybe half of one of those is just because I wanted this to be so much better than it was. I was so excited - and then so disappointed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ragnheiður This book just sucks. My expectations weren't even that high after The time travelers wife and I hated this one, plus it's depressing as hell.