Amy's Reviews > The Carrie Diaries

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2010, read-in-2011
Read from July 09 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I have plenty of guilty pleasures and even though I call them that, I try not to feel too guilty about them. (Life's too short, right?) One of my biggest pleasures is reading teen and pre-teen literature. Another is the ridiculous joy that is Sex and the City. So reading The Carrie Diaries was like combining the two in one ultimate dream!

Well, not quite. But it was fun.

There are a few oddly glaring inconsistencies between the book and the TV series, however. In the series, she re-dates her high school boyfriend who she went to prom with... she doesn't actually go to the prom in the book. I'm sure there's stuff mentioned about how Carrie in the series is an only child raised by a single mother yet in the book her mum has died and left her dad to raise her and her two sisters (!!) Also, she's bizarrely an excellent cook, whereas in the show it's often mentioned how she never cooks and uses her oven to store sweaters.

It's a teen book, really, despite the peppering of expletives. Don't read it expecting it to be a grown up novel! You can probably already tell whether you'll like this or not: it's more or less what you're expecting. I enjoyed it, though.

And I especially liked the very last sentence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Carrie Diaries.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aarie Pannesi the series actually has nothing to do with the book seeing candace only wrote one sex in the city which is the basis for the show but for the details they just kind of ran with it

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I know that - but it doesn't stop it driving me crazy!

Aarie Pannesi Oh I figured by the whole dedication to the differences you thought maybe they came from the same source because you stated how you saw inconsistencies but when one isn't closely related to the other ita kind of expected Candace is giving you her story behind Carrie how she wants it told seeing she is her creator but sorry I took your review the wrong way. :)

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Don't worry, my dear! You were right to point it out in case I didn't realise. I just found it really hard to relate to this entirely new Carrie - but I still want to read the next one, haha!

Marteen I especially loved the last sentance and enjoyed the second book even more than the first! Go read it quick!!!! Xx

Aarie Pannesi the second was amazing i just recently read it don't miss out on what goes on in carries life next