Amy's Reviews > Handle with Care

Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

Oct 23, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2009, read-in-2010
I own a copy, read count: 3

Moral dilemmas! Court cases! Family strife! Hi, welcome to another Jodi Picoult book. This one is about a child with brittle bone disease and if you've read and enjoyed other JP books, I will recommend this to you. If you've read and hated other JP books, don't bother with this one. It won't change your mind in any way.

It's the same kind of thing: Picoult does her usual impeccably researched morality dilemma thing and if you liked it before, you'll probably like it again. Lots of her regular tropes are present here: the list to open the book (seeNineteen Minutes), the best friends battling (see The Pact), the unique child (see Keeping Faith), the good guy cop (see loads of them including Mercy and Second Glance) and the mother who'll do anything for her child (see, uh, all of them). And it's ok that these themes are all here again because if you're a fan you either don't care or have already forgiven her.

But. This one wasn't really the best. Yes, I enjoyed it and ploughed through it in milliseconds like I always do. The different voices through the chapters don't really sound any different, but it's fine. It can be really cliched at times and a little bit grating but it is all still essentiallyh fine. But what is NOT fine is the ending. I won't spoil it for you, but the last three or four pages make no sense, come from nowhere and add nothing - unless you count royally pissing me off as adding something.

I'll still read the others I haven't read, though - although, I think I've read most of them now. Oh dear.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Handle with Care.