Fence's Reviews > The Fall

The Fall by Guillermo del Toro

Oct 26, 10

bookshelves: horror
Read from October 23 to 26, 2010

After the events of cite>The Strain New York is in chaos, and the rest of the world is following in a downward spiral. Ephraim Goodweather is trying to keep his son out of the clutches of his vampiric ex-wife, these vampires feel a real need to turn their “Dear Ones”, human love turned into hunger. And Abraham Setrakian is busy trying to track down The Master, as he learns that the events happening are even worse than he could have suspected. Along with Fet, the rat exterminator turned vampire-hunter, they are attempting the impossible, to stop the vampire contagion spreading across the world.

This is a very solid vampire book. More sci-fi than fantasy, although both are mixed together in this horror story. And it is a page-turner that’ll make you want to keep on reading in order to find out what comes next. Unfortunately I never really got a proper sense of the characters, which I need if I am to love a book, but it is an action-packed read. Perhaps too action-focused for my tastes?

I did enjoy it, however I’d have to say solid rather than great.

However, given the darkness of the ending, and the horrible-ness of the vampires I know I’ll be reading the final book in this trilogy when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall.