Melinda's Reviews > Maybe This Time

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie

Oct 24, 2010

bookshelves: audible-com, romance, favorite-in-audio
Read on October 24, 2010

What a fun audio book! The narrator is Angela Dawe - she's got a youthful, not too mature voice which works very well with the characters. Don't get me wrong - she managed to give the older women the right voices, but her own narrator voice is youthful! Her characters were consistent and funny, and she refrained from adding sound effects, for which I was thankful. (an earlier book by another narrator became a DNF when the narrator kept adding "heh heh" to every character's line when the author wrote "he laughed" or "he chuckled". grrrr)

Of course, it helps the narrator to have wonderful prose and an entertaining story to read, and this fits the bill. Heroine Andie is tying up the loose ends of her first marriage, which ended in divorce 10 years earlier, when her ex, North, asks her to help him out with his 2 wards, ages 8 and 12. It seems the scamps have chased off 3 nannies, all of whom thought the house was haunted. She agrees and, well, the fun and scariness begin! In the midst of 2 meddling mothers-in-law, a medium and a parapsychologist, a cranky housekeeper and some even-crankier spirits, Andie and North look for love again.

It's a great book for October and Halloween - enough humor to keep the woooooooo scary parts from being nightmare-inducing, and a cast of characters that only Crusie could think up. Add to all that a really good narrator, and it's a 5 star listen!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe This Time.

Kaetrin I know what you mean about the laughing thing! I stopped listening to a Johanna Lindsay (No Choice but Seduction) for that very reason. It was the audio equivalent of a wallbanger (without the actual wall banging which would damage my iPod of course!).

I'll have to see if I can pick this one up or whether geo restrictions will crush me again! I love Crusie's work.

Diana Sold! I'm going to buy it.

Kaetrin Sadly, I just checked on Audible and it's not for sale to me :( *le sigh*

Melinda OMG - it was a Johanna Lindsey that I was referring to! Love Only Once - the narrator was Laural Merlington, and mygawd it was awful. I'm positive I've listened to her before without the Heh Heh - yeah, I was def ready to smash the iPhone before coming to my senses! Sorry you can't (yet) get this Crusie - it's good!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I listened to" Welcome to Temptation" and loved it. Then I listened to another one of hers and I can't remember the title right now, but it was constantly "he said" "she said". It drove me nuts! Is this book better about that?

message 6: by Melinda (last edited Oct 27, 2010 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melinda Kathy, I'm afraid that He Said She Said stuff is there. Maybe Crusie should think about audio when she writes. I think other authors use more He Murmured She Sighed He Chuckled She Demured, you know, other words besides "said". Or nothing and let us figure out who said it.

I think when the story is entertaining and the narrator is good, you don't notice it quite as much, but yeah, Crusie does put a he said she said after everything they say....

Kaetrin I read somewhere that the words the person says should convey the tone rather than the adjective used after the quotation marks. So, she said or he said is there to identify the speaker but that "he said warningly" or "she whispered sadly" are unnecessary. The blog post I read (NOT by Crusie but I can't now remember whose it was) said that the writer had "failed" if those adjectives were required. I remember thinking it was interesting at the time - it made me more tolerant of the he said she said. But, on audio, it's a bit different, it sounds kind of "tacked on" and it gets repetitive and a little crazy-making. I remember really noticing it in Anne Flosnik's narration of Mary Balogh's A Matter of Class and her narration drove me batty anyway... :)