Rachel's Reviews > Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing

Anatomy of the Spirit by Caroline Myss

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, religion-philosophy
Read from December 18, 2010 to February 03, 2011

I alternated between liking the book and being really irritated with it. While I do believe that there is more to health and illness than just what the Western medical establishment currently understands, there is a lot of science to health and illness. This book completely ignores the science. Myss gives an example of a man "healed" from HIV by "adopting a healthy, near-vegetarian diet, doing aerobic exercise, quitting smoking, using castor oil packs across his abdomen for 45 minutes a day, and psychotherapy" to come to terms with being gay. Really. Anectdotes like that just piss me off. Other parts of the book do have good suggestions. You cannot be at war with yourself or those around you without manifesting physical symptoms. You will be healthier and happier if you follow your bliss. Just don't think that being in the closet will give you AIDS and admitting your sexual preference will heal you. That's crap.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anatomy of the Spirit.