Amber Skye's Reviews > Future Imperfect

Future Imperfect by K. Ryer Breese

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: arc
Read on March 19, 2011

Future Imperfect is a much darker novel than I thought it would be. Although Ade has a unnatural physic addiction, the novel could just as well be about drug, alcohol, smoking, and sex addictions. Breese took the story of a teenage boy with a rough life and messed up classmates and twisted it into a warped paranormal tale.

Ade, the narrator, is a very personal character. His every thought is recorded in the novel, and the language is that of a teenage boy. The reader is sucked into his world and placed in his head for the duration of the story. His friends and family are quirky and interesting, if a little strange. His lesbian best friend, Paige, and his mother are two of the biggest supporting characters.

Then there is Vauxhall, his future soul-mate. First of all, what kind of name is Vauxhall? I couldn't get over it. What happened to books with normal character names? My guess is that Breese is trying to highlight how different Vauxhall is from other girls. She's artsy and mysterious, and like Ade, has a secret talent of her own.

Overall, Future Imperfect was an entertaining read. It isn't like most of the books I read, and I was both intrigued and repulsed by the strange, morbid story. The ending was probably my favorite part. Even the darkest parts of the novel were remedied and things were heading down a better path. I just love uplifting endings like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Future Imperfect.