Jessica B's Reviews > Struts & Frets

Struts & Frets by Jon Skovron

Feb 19, 11

Read in January, 2010

From shutupimreading.blogspot.com

This isn't my normal type of book, and I hadn't heard much about it. I just randomly saw it at the bookstore, and decided that I needed to read it. Maybe I had some kind of contemporary craving, I don't know. But it must have been just what I needed, because I really enjoyed it.

I know I've mentioned this once or twice (or twenty times...), but I love music. So when my love of music and books combines, it usually agrees with me. I like indie rock, but I don't know that many bands, so Struts & Frets gave me a few to look up, which is always really nice. But band references aren't the only reason I love books about music, it's the passion behind the music. The descriptions of how it makes you feel, think, react. This book was dead-on in that area, for sure.

And while we're talking about things about this book that were dead-on, let us move on to the characters. Each one was full of their own unique life and quirks, and I want to hang out with them forever and ever. Sammy's passion and confusion really resonated with me, as it should with teens everywhere. He really found himself throughout the novel, and not just him. I think just about every side character did as well, at least a little, which I found extremely cool to witness.

Struts & Frets even proved to have a quality that I, personally, find usually difficult to find in contemporary: it was addictive, and hard to put down. In a nutshell, I was pretty darn impressed by this one. Jon Skovron really knows how to make a story come to life, and I'll definitely be reading whatever he puts out next.

Book Report:
Plot: Really well paced and realistic.
Characters: Awesome with a side of awesome.
Writing: Really clever and easy to read.
Ending: Wraps things up nicely.
Kid friendly? Hmmm...well, there's teen drinking as well as sex, swearing, and smoking.
Should I read it? Yeah, I think you should.
Overall: 4 and a half stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Struts & Frets.