Jennifer's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from October 06 to 13, 2011

What impressed me: I had no idea what Outlander was about when I started the book and it really impressed me. A great mix of time travel, historical fiction and romance. I loved Claire and Jamie's relationship and how it progressed. I also really enjoyed Claire's struggling with her feelings for Jamie while trying to remain true to her husband two hundred years in the future.

What disappointed me: I didn't always understand what was going on, because the book was based both in the past and in Scotland. Certain actions, phrases and customs went over my head, but for the most part, it really put you in the time and place of the story.

Recommended: Fans of romance and historical fiction.

Continue series: Yes, but it will take a while. These books are huge.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

Melissa This one's on my TBR list for 2012 as part of the Outlander Reading Challenge hosted by the Lit Bitch. I'm looking forward to diving in; I've never read these books before but, based on your review, they sound interesting!

message 2: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Smart I completely agree with your comment. The size of the book was extremely intimidating, but it was all with it. It was a little much at the beginning with the abundance of random characters who would show up once then disappear forever. Almost too much detail.
I was absolutely obsessed with Claire and Jamie's relationship although still wonder how it will work out with Claire and Frank if she can get back.
I also agree about all of the old Scottish slang and traditions but at some points in the book they were too far over my head and too confusing for me to dwell on. But it shows just how much research Gabaldon did before writing these books. Just the Gaelic terms that everyone spoke in even during a normal conversation were confusing. The types of foods were so detaied and had their own crazy names it was a little hard to keep up with.
Aside from weeding through all the characters and terminology the almost 1000 page book was rewarding at the end.