T. Edmund's Reviews > Power: Why Some People Have it and Others Don't

Power by Jeffrey Pfeffer

Oct 22, 10

Pfeffer (Glad this is a written review I have no idea how to say that name) is an academic who specialises on organisational behaviour, and this book is essentially his advice on how to obtain, maintain, and understand power.

While his book unsurprisingly mostly focuses on corporate CEOs, Pfeffer's principals apply equally well to non-profits, politicians and any other situation that involves other people and positions of power.

Probably the most helpful, but most unpalatable advice is to suck-up to the people who can put you into power. Scientifically there is no end to the benefit of flattery and while many people find 'managing up' to be distasteful and false, at the end of the day this book is about getting power, not keeping the same job forever but being true to your principals (which is where I see most of my colleagues who think they're being powerful by antagonising their bosses but really are setting themselves up for stagnant career progression)

There is also discussion of the risks of power, some interpersonal advice around 'acting powerful' and a caveat about whether or not it’s worth seeking only power versus living a slightly more laid-back life.

Anyone with ambition will benefit from this book, it is enjoyable to read, while still having valuable information.

Something I'm interested in finding out is whether anyone disagreed with the content of the book and what their experiences of power are?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Power.