Riona's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: favorites, urban-fantasy, hugo-award, nebula-award, kitten-squishers
Read from August 22 to September 01, 2011

It seems like almost all of my friends have read this already, and I can see why. I really enjoyed it. Sure, none of the concepts in American Gods are really original, but it's well-executed. Even with my barely passable knowledge of various religions and mythologies, it was fun to figure out who might be a god and which god they were.

I've read a decent number of Gaiman's books by now, and this is my favorite so far. It's not exactly fast-paced, but the plot rolled right along like an old Winnebago on Route 66, with enough action sprinkled in to keep my attention. The twists were plentiful and of the best kind --the ones you don't seem coming, but they make perfect sense in retrospect. There were a few slow parts -- the dream sequences, in particular, became a little tedious after a while -- and the connection between some of the "Coming to America" sections and the main storyline wasn't always clear. These faults were really minor, though, and I think the good far outweighed the bad.

If nothing else, American Gods definitely piqued my interest in learning more about mythology. This might be one to re-read in a few years - I think it might be even more enjoyable the second time around.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

Quotes Riona Liked

Neil Gaiman
“I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not.

I can believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and the Beatles and Marilyn Monroe and Elvis and Mister Ed. Listen - I believe that people are perfectable, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look like wrinkled lemurs and bad ones who mutilate cattle and want our water and our women.

I believe that the future sucks and I believe that the future rocks and I believe that one day White Buffalo Woman is going to come back and kick everyone's ass. I believe that all men are just overgrown boys with deep problems communicating and that the decline in good sex in America is coincident with the decline in drive-in movie theaters from state to state.

I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative. I believe that California is going to sink into the sea when the big one comes, while Florida is going to dissolve into madness and alligators and toxic waste.

I believe that antibacterial soap is destroying our resistance to dirt and disease so that one day we'll all be wiped out by the common cold like martians in War of the Worlds.

I believe that the greatest poets of the last century were Edith Sitwell and Don Marquis, that jade is dried dragon sperm, and that thousands of years ago in a former life I was a one-armed Siberian shaman.

I believe that mankind's destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it's aerodynamically impossible for a bumble bee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there's a cat in a box somewhere who's alive and dead at the same time (although if they don't ever open the box to feed it it'll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself.

I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn't even know that I'm alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise, and sheer blind luck.

I believe that anyone who says sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too.

I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman's right to choose, a baby's right to live, that while all human life is sacred there's nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicitly, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system.

I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it.”

Neil Gaiman
“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”

Neil Gaiman
“This is the only country in the world," said Wednesday, into the stillness, "that worries about what it is."
"What?"
"The rest of them know what they are. No one ever needs to go searching for the heart of Norway. Or looks for the soul of Mozambique. They know what they are.”

08/22/2011 page 129