Paul Perry's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Oct 29, 2010

bookshelves: historical, favorites, literary, fiction, male-author
Recommended for: everyone
Read from October 22 to 29, 2010

I have been hearing about The Book Thief for some time, so knew pretty much what it was about, but nothing prepared me for how completely enthralling and touching this book is.

Set in the middle years of World War 2 in a small German town between Munich and Dachau, the story follows nine year old Liesel, sent to stay with a foster family when her communist parents are interned.

As you might expect given the setting, the novel is utterly heart wrenching, but also filled with pure beauty and, unexpectedly, many genuinely hilarious moments.

Zusak shows us how, even in the darkest of times, small acts of kindness can mean everything, how difficult and vital are small instances of bravery and resistance, how even when it may seem utterly futile any seed sown amongst the devastation may bring forth shoots and, most of all, the power and importance of words to connect people and keep hope alive.

This is a truly wonderful work of fiction, humane and profound, funny and devastatingly sad.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

10/22/2010 "As i finished listening to The Demon Haunted World on my bike ride earlier, i started this audiobook on the train journey back. very much liking it so far"
10/23/2010
16.0% "this is mesmerising, sad and funny and wise"
10/23/2010
16.0% "this is mesmerising, sad and funny and wise"
10/26/2010
68.0% "heartwarming and heartbreaking. i so want it to end well, but i can't see how it can."
show 4 hidden updates…