Stacey's Reviews > A Town Like Alice

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

Oct 22, 2010

bookshelves: indo
Read in October, 2010

I read this book while I was extremely sick (with food poisoning, I think), so I picked it up and put it down a lot, and it put my miserable health into perspective. I give it five stars (even though it maybe is more accurately a four star) because it was an engaging story, but mainly because there were so many little details of their life in Malay that are now familiar to me-- the rice paddies, lemon squash, words like kota bahru, it just gave it an added appeal.

It is one of those books I keep bringing up, in talking to my friends here. I suppose it means I am still thinking about it subconsciously.

I think trials bring out our true colors, and we often rise to the occasion, But not everyone does, I related this to the 31 day trips I used to take with adjudicated youth. The kids either rose to the occasion or they started stealing chocolate milks... Now a 31 day trip is not a death march all over a foreign country, but it is true with that group of women in the story--those who adapted to the climate and the culture, survived and grew healthier. Those who insisted on staying English, with english clothes and customs, did not survive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Town Like Alice.