Jessica's Reviews > The Tropical Vegan Kitchen: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Dishes from the Tropics

The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein

Mar 27, 11

bookshelves: cookbooks
Read in March, 2011

Another dependable book by Donna Klein. At this point, I trust her recipes to the point that I will serve them for company without trying them at home first. I love that her cookbooks use easy-to-find ingredients. I only wish there were splashy color photos!

Here's my take on the first three dishes I prepared from this cookbook --

Caribbean-style potato-vegetable curry: I liked this, but I didn't think it was very curry-like. The spices were turmeric, cumin, allspice, and ginger. Part of the problem may have been that I forgot to add the broth. A little hot sauce gave this just the kick I wanted.

Caribbean-style baked sweet potatoes with chili black beans: I love this concept -- sweet potatoes smothered in veggie chili -- but while the recipe is easy, it does take a considerable amount of time to bake sweet potatoes, so it's not a weeknight dish. (In fact, my sweet potatoes took far longer than the 45 minutes that Donna Klein suggests.) That said, it's delicious, and I learned something new: equal parts refried beans, black beans, and salsa, plus spices and scallions, make a fast chili.

Thai lettuce wraps: On a scale of 1 to 10, kiddo rated these a 13. She's not a fan of mushrooms, but she ate them up along side the tofu, cabbage, and carrots, and we all loved the liberal use of garlic and ginger. These wraps had just the right amount of kick, and they were fun to eat!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tropical Vegan Kitchen.