Debbie's Reviews > The Mockingbirds

1945325
Jan 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: california-author

This book was a engrossing read that took on a touchy subject of date rape. I loved the characters and each had such a distinctive voice and complemented each other so well. One night Alex drinks too much and wakes up to find herself in bed with little memory of what happened the night before. At first she blames herself until her roommate points out that since she was in no position to give consent to have sex she was date raped. Then she has to make a decision, does she go to the police, stay silent or turn to the Mockingbirds for help. Alex's turmoil was so real that you are horrified by what happened to her as she goes through the stages of blaming herself, feeling ashamed, anger and then becoming a voice for others who were in her position but were too afraid to speak up.

As the story progresses we slowly get glimpses of what happened that night as Alex starts to remember bits and pieces. The process the Mockingbirds has in place to "try" cases like this were amazing and although there was a system of checks and balances in place I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with students judging other students. I understand that the Themis faculty and administration was clueless and the purpose of the Mockingbirds is positive but you have to wonder one day if their actions will one day may go too far.

Still I loved the message delivered in this book and thought overall it was a wonderful read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mockingbirds.