Debbie's Reviews > Nightmare Academy

Nightmare Academy by Frank E. Peretti

Oct 22, 10

bookshelves: christian, ya, suspense
Read in October, 2010

"Nightmare Academy" is a young adult suspense/horror novel. It reminded me of "Lord of the Flies," but Peretti is more heavy-handed in making his point. This novel is the second in the series, but you don't have to read the first one ("Hangman's Curse") to understand this one. However, I liked "Hangman's Curse" better.

The novel was fast-paced and a fast read. The twins were clever and engaging characters who were willing to stand up for what's right and to protect others. The suspense was created by the increasing physical danger to everybody and from trying to discover why this academy was created and by whom.

While the story was exciting, I was disappointed by the ending. The bad guys revealed their motive, but it didn't make sense to me. As I understand it, they didn't even believe in what they were teaching. And, thinking through their evil scheme, I don't see how they could manipulate things to get their desired results in a large, general population scenario. So they came across as rather cliche, unrealistic villains.

The twins and their parents were Christians, and the twins speak out at the academy for absolute truth and protecting the weak. There was a very minor amount of "he cussed" style bad language. There was no sex. Overall, I'd recommend this exciting novel to Christian teens.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightmare Academy.