Angel 's Reviews > The Planets

190365
Oct 22, 2010

bookshelves: history
Read from October 22 to November 16, 2010 , read count: 1

This is a nice pleasant book to read, but I don't think it is the author's best. I found Longitude and Galileo's Daughter to be better books overall. Part of the reason that I did not think as much of the book is the chapter on Uranus and Neptune where she uses a long letter as the way to carry the chapter narrative. The conceit went on for way too long to the point that I just skimmed it. Compared to the other chapters, the narrative on that chapter slowed the book down. For example, the chapter using the point of view of a small meteorite fragment to illuminate a planet's history was pretty creative, but it was also concise. However, in spite of some shortcomings, the book overall is worth reading. You will learn about the planets and the solar system in terms of the science, the history, and the popular culture. You get a nice journey through time from the ancients' view of the planets and stars to today's astronomers using the latest and best telescopes; you also get to learn about the various unmanned probes we have sent into space and what they have accomplished. And you get it all in a nice, small, easy to read book.

If you like Sobel's previous works, you will probably enjoy this book as well. If you enjoy microhistory books in general, then you will enjoy this one as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Planets.

10/27/2010 page 13
11/02/2010 page 62
22.0% "Finished the intro, and the chapter on Mercury. Reading about Venus now. So far, a very nice and interesting book."
11/02/2010 page 62
11/13/2010 page 139
48.0% "Finished the Mars chapter. Moving on to Jupiter."
11/13/2010 page 161
56.0% "Done with the Jupiter chapter, which includes the tale of the Galileo unmanned probe. Moving on to Saturn."
show 3 hidden updates…