AH's Reviews > City of Ghosts

City of Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Oct 22, 2010

bookshelves: own, alpha-males, dark, favorites, ghosts, zzread-feb-2012, sos-bookshelf-bingo, urban-fantasy, witches, 5-stars
Read from February 08 to 12, 2012

The Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane is one of my favorite urban fantasy series. I never expected to like this series; in fact, if I was to meet some of these characters on the streets at night I would instinctively head in the opposite direction. I don’t approve of the lifestyle choices of the main character – she’s a pill popping addict. Somehow, I have the urge to both smack her and hug her and then cart her off to rehab. This is a testament to just how well these characters are written.

City of Ghosts is the third book in the Downside Ghosts series. For those unfamiliar with the series, the basic premise is that sometime in the future the ghosts have become extremely dangerous and the “Church” has a staff specially trained to protect the population from said ghosts. City of Ghosts finds the main character Chess Putnam undergoing some serious moments of self-doubt, self-loathing, and moments of paranoia. Chess does not allow herself to be happy; she does not see herself worthy of a relationship. Chess’ on again/off again relationship with mob enforcer Terrible is damaged and possibly irreparable.

Chess continues to surprise me. The very fact that she manages to do her job quite well despite her addiction never ceases to amaze me. It’s her personal life that keeps getting messed up.
Terrible. Let’s take a moment to talk about Terrible. Terrible is an interesting character. He’s huge, not that great looking, and extremely good at persuasion using his fists. There is another side to him. He has a good heart and he is capable of love. Terrible is one of those fictional characters that you fall in love with even though in real life, he would be scary. I found myself echoing Chess’ feelings for Terrible. When he wasn’t in a scene, I would miss him. If Terrible was in a scene, my heart would skip a beat and I felt happy. When he calls her Chessiebomb, I melted.

On the ghost front, Chess is working with the Black Squad to solve a case of grisly murders. The action is fast paced. There are excellent fight scenes, lots of blood and mayhem, and the sex is hot, dirty, and angry. My only criticism of this book would be that there was a little too much detail on the preparation of Chess’ spells. That part read a little like a recipe, but was interesting nonetheless.

City of Ghosts was an emotional ride. While this series is not for everyone, fans of dark urban fantasy should enjoy it.

Highly recommended.

Favorite quote:

“You know, caffeine can mess with your energy,” Lauren said. “It’s best to stay away from artificial stimulants.”
It was probably the funniest thing anyone had said to her in weeks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ghosts.

Quotes AH Liked

Stacia Kane
“You know I do, aye? Love you right, Chessiebomb.”
Stacia Kane, City of Ghosts

02/08/2012 page 1
0.0% "SOS Bookshelf Bingo - Free space read" 4 comments
02/09/2012 page 38
9.0% "

"You know,caffeine can mess with your energy," Lauren said. "It's best to stay away from artificial stimulants.

It was probably the funniest thing anyone had said to her in weeks.

" 6 comments
02/09/2012 page 56
14.0% ""Nobody filled a doorway like Terrible."" 11 comments

Julie Amazing read.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH It really is. I never thought I would enjoy reading about an addict but the writing/characters/story/everything is incredible.

Julie AH wrote: "It really is. I never thought I would enjoy reading about an addict but the writing/characters/story/everything is incredible."

Agree. I wasn't too sure about this series at first but man...it's hard not to find the writing amazing.

Laura (Kyahgirl) it just keeps getting better and better eh? love this series.

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Yes it does. I've read the next book and I have book 5 ready to go....

Duygu dagalti THANKS TO YOU I BECAME THE FAN OF DOWNSIDE GHOSTS.

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH You are welcome, Duygu. Did you see that that author is doing a Q&A? See here.

Duygu dagalti Thanks for the info.By the way I am your follower and looking forward other recomendations.

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Thanks, Duygu. So many books, so little time....

Have you tried Angelfall? It's a post apocalyptic angel book where the angels are the bad guys. It has been on sale on Amazon for $0.99 for a while now, I think she is ending that sale in the next day or so. So worth it.

Duygu dagalti Is it ya .Couse I prefer adut , dark urban fantasy.

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I never saw Angelfall as a young adult book other than the main character is 17. It's pretty dark and has a touch of horror, and it can fit urban fantasy.
The main character is quite kickass - not a whiny, sniveling character.

It is extremely well written and most people rate it highly.

Duygu dagalti thanks so much.I will definitly try it after I finish SACRIFICIAL MAGIC.
TAKE CARE.

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Take a look at Badass Book Reviews. There is an article called Hidden Gems. Michelle has a list of 6 cool indie books that she found and liked. You may like one of those. (Yup - Angelfall is on that list).

Duygu dagalti OK.THANKS SO MUCH

Andrea your review made me read this series ,loved it,

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Andrea wrote: "your review made me read this series ,loved it,"

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the series. It's one of those best kept secrets of the urban fantasy genre.