Kt's Reviews > Feast of Fools

Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine

Oct 22, 2010

Read in October, 2010

When Amelie's father, The Bishop arrives, the already fragile peace in Morganville is strained to it's limit. Claire and her friends are told to stay out of it, but of course none of them can really help themselves. After they hear about a ball to "welcome" the Bishop, Claire realizes there is something sinister going on. With everyone trying to keep her safe, she is more determined than ever to find a way to the ball to protect the people, and possibly the vampires as well, that she cares about.

I find Claire's parents to be extremely annoying. They are all about "protecting" their daughter, but all I have seen from them is judgmental opinionatedness. Apparently they just do not trust her, which I find to be completely ridiculous considering her briliance and strength. She has shown more maturity and strength than any of the other characters in the book, and just because there are "boys" in the house her parents think it's a horrible situation. Perhaps they should wake up to the situation now that they are wrapped up into the Morganville mess and realize just who their daughter is, and understand she is responsible enough to make her own decisions.

The relationships between Claire and her roommates is much less strained in this book. Shane seems to finally be accepting Micheal's new status as a vampire. The relationship between Micheal and Eve is really starting to heat up and its good to see both of them have some levity. Claire and Shane's relationship just keeps getting stronger and they somehow have still been able to keep it mostly clean considering Claire's age. I just keep waiting for either one of them to spontaneously combust. Not much time has passed in the books, so there still is a long time until she turns 18. I'm impressed at Shane's determination, and it should be interesting to see if it holds steady.

I enjoyed this book and it was an incredibly fast read. I started and then what felt like just a few minutes later, it ended. There actually was a little less action in this book, but it flowed so well, that I didn't miss the extra action at all. Of course the book ended on a cliffhanger, and this one sure is a doozy. Things are drastically changing in Morganville, and it will be very interesting to see how things turn out in the next book. It looks like Claire and her friend's troubles have only just begun, and I am eager to continue their story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feast of Fools.

Quotes Kt Liked

Rachel Caine
“I'm gonna kill him," Eve said, or at least that was what it sounded like filtered through the pillow.
Stake him right in the heart, shove garlic up his ass, and-and-"

And what?" (Michael)

When did you get home?" Claire demanded.

Apparently just in time to hear my funeral plans. I especially like the garlic up the ass. It's...different.”

Rachel Caine
“That's brain tissue. How can you-?" Claire shut her mouth, fast. "Never mind. I don't think I wanna know."

"Truly, I think that's best. Please take it." He showed his teeth briefly in a very unsettling grin. "I'm giving you a piece of my mind."

"I so wish you hadn't said that.”

Rachel Caine
“Crap, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I'm thinking we have about fifteen vampires and no blood," Claire said. "Is that it?"

"No, I was thinking we're out of chips. Of course that's what I was thinking.”